As many of you know the past several months have been a time of uncertainty for me. I have been seeking new opportunties and waiting, a lot of waiting. As a result, I have developed more patience, more compassion, more peace than I have ever known…once I got past the frustration, anger, and bitterness. And all the while I have been seeking God’s will.
My prayers resulted in no’s, silence, and not yet’s. My prayers changed. My heart opened. My study intensified. And I waited.
There are people who have seen and known all along. There are people who have touched my life and watched me struggle and grow. There are people who have only recently entered my life and for them it’s a no brainer. Well, it took me a while folks. I’m stubborn!
I’m excited! I know the gifts the Spirit has given me. I know the desire God has placed in my heart. And I’m ready to say, “Here, I Am Lord. Use me!”
This will not be a simple journey. It will be one that will forever change my life. Initially, it will require my time, a few more graduate classes, and deep personal introspection. It will also mean changes for my family. But that doesn’t bother me too much because I know it is what I’m being called to do and Coach is as always amazingly supportive.
I ask for your prayers and support for myself and my family as I begin this amazing journey to serve God more faithfully.
- What the heck is a deacon? A deacon is a person who has been called to a particular ministry. They do not run a church. However they often times work for a church. Deacons in Christian Education can also be teachers, chaplains, writers, and more. They can marry and bury people. They generally cannot baptize or bless the elements of communion.
- Where will you go to school? Asbury Theological Seminary in KY. They offer online classes and at this point I only need two more, hopefully this fall and next spring.
- When will you start? The process has already begun with the church. Believe it or not, I’m in another waiting period. 🙂
- When will you be done? It’s a long process. Best case scenario, I will be ordained at Annual Conference 2018. (And as Coach so graciously reminded me tonight, I’ll be a few days short of 39. And as I discussed with a friend, he may be ordained an Elder at the same time. That would be awesome!)
- If you have other questions, please ask. I’ll be happy to share because I’m really excited about this!